The first professional to give lessons for the Christchurch Golf Club was a Mr Hood, who came to Christchurch for five weeks in July/August 1902 on loan from the Auckland Golf Club. He was followed in June 1904 by Mr J M Heard who accepted a position as coach for five months by cable from Launceston.
The first permanent appointment was Mr J A Clements who was engaged for a one month trial in October 1908. During his tenure he won the NZ Open in 1908, 1909 and 1912. He continued until November 1912 when his request to raise his coaching charge for half an hour from 2 shillings (20 cents) to 2 shillings 6 pence (25 cents) was refused and he left in protest.
He was replaced by Mr William Iles in February 1913 who was appointed for six months’ trial and who was confirmed in his position in July. His duties were extended to be Greens Supervisor in 1915. (At the same time 1500 sheep were grazing on the links.) He resigned in December 1920 to go to Australia. He was made a presentation of 33 pounds ($66) and a wrist watch. These were considerable sums in those days which suggests that he must have been popular with the members.
He was succeeded by Mr R.C. Butters in the following January, who had been giving lessons (presumably as an assistant to Iles) since May 1919. He resigned in February 1924 with hints in the club minutes that his relationship with the committee had more downs than ups.
This led to the appointment of the legendary Harry Blair who continued as professional until 1949 and then was a regular player and visitor at the club until his death in 1974 in his ninetieth year.
Bob Glading who had won the NZ Open in 1946 as an amateur had a brief spell of two years. Norman Fuller replaced him in 1952. There was controversy over his appointment as he had been a conscientious objector during World War II but his quiet and efficient manner won over members.
On his retirement in 1966 Colin Caldwell was appointed and continued until 1982. Colin had had a distinguished career as an amateur at the club. For many years he was helped by his wife Anne and together they made a wonderful contribution to the club.
Mark Guy took up the appointment from 1983 to 1986. The club then decided to operate the shop and Colin Caldwell returned to provide coaching. This was not totally satisfactory and so in late 1990 an arrangement was made with Shane Scott and Blair Gough. Blair’s business expertise and Shane’s coaching ability and pleasant personality soon got things back on an even keel and formed a productive partnership. When Blair retired from the partnership Shane took over sole responsibility, though subsequently with shareholdings from others.
Shane moved on to pursue other interests in 2006 and was replaced by the present incumbent, Anthony Doyle.